📌 The Denver Broncos have excused linebacker Jonathon Cooper from mandatory minicamp following his arrest on multiple domestic violence charges, including a felony.
The Denver Broncos have excused linebacker Jonathon Cooper from mandatory minicamp following his arrest on multiple domestic violence charges.
The Denver Broncos excused outside linebacker Jonathon Cooper from the club’s mandatory minicamp in Englewood, Colorado, after he was arrested twice in a seven-day span on domestic-violence-related charges, including one felony, officials said. Head coach Sean Payton said Tuesday the organization is gathering information while coordinating with local authorities and the NFL as the legal process continues. Cooper is 28.

Officials said Cooper was first arrested June 4 in Parker, Colorado, after an argument and confrontation with his girlfriend. He faced multiple charges from that arrest, and one count was later upgraded to felony second-degree assault. He was arrested again the following week on additional charges that included harassment.
Payton said Cooper is away from the team while the Broncos continue their review. Denver has not announced a roster decision, and Cooper’s longer-term status remains unclear as the case proceeds through the court system and the league’s process.
Payton’s remarks and Denver’s internal review
Payton said the club has held several meetings and will measure the situation against the organization’s internal standards. Asked whether Denver would wait for the legal process to conclude before making any roster decision, Payton indicated the team would continue to follow developments from both law enforcement and the league.
Cooper took part in the Broncos’ organized team activities over the previous two weeks. Mandatory minicamp is the only part of the NFL offseason program that can result in fines for players who miss it, and the Broncos’ camp runs Tuesday through Thursday to close the offseason schedule.
Court dates, travel restrictions and possible NFL discipline
Officials said Cooper appeared in Douglas County Court last Friday and was released on a personal recognizance bond. The court ordered him to comply with a strict no-contact protection order and to seek prior court approval for any travel outside Colorado.
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(999x0:1001x2)/Jonathon-Cooper-060826-5e495b201b8241b98844e89a0e78f3b3.jpg)
Motions hearings are scheduled for July 6 and July 14, with one tied to each arrest, and a jury trial is scheduled to begin July 22. The Broncos are set to open training camp in the last week of July, meaning the court schedule could overlap with key preparation dates.
Cooper could also face discipline under the NFL’s personal conduct policy, separate from the criminal proceedings, officials said, and the league is monitoring the matter. Further developments are expected around the upcoming court dates and any subsequent league review.
The next milestones are the July motions hearings and any decision by the league on whether to take action under its personal conduct policy.